Green Vegetables are the super foods that help supply plenty of nutrients and vitamins to the body. You may not be too familiar with all the veggies, but most of them act wonderfully for your health and body.
- If you are looking for a nutrient rich vegetable that has all the essential goodness of antioxidants and phytonutrients, then opt for the spinach. You can buy it fresh from local vegetable vendors and the local produce at supermarkets. You can eat the vegetable in a canned form or even have it fresh to counter cell damage. The spinach is known to nourish the body and replenish the spent energy without adding on the weight. It is an ideal food during weight loss!
- Arugula is also known as the rocket or the rucola, and is a leafy and cruciferous vegetable that has a crunchy and peppery taste that is an amazing addition in a salad. This vegetable has potassium, that helps manage blood sugar and pressure. It also helps in combating Osteoporosis. Arugula has plenty of phyto-chemicals that are low in calories and is great fro weight loss.
- If you want to add another leafy vegetable to your diet, try the cruciferous and fibrous Collard Greens that are also similar to kale. These have beta-carotene that supplies vitamin A and antioxidants to the blood stream. This vegetable is a good source of nutrients that help fight cataracts, macular degeneration and arthritis. You also have silky smooth skin along with a great digestive system.
- The Endive is a bitter vegetable that is often used as a side dish or in salads. There are many kinds of Endives available in the market. You can opt for the Belgian Endive or the curly Endive better known as the Frisee. These vegetables are very low on calories and is a great source of potassium, a mineral that prevents bone disorder and fracture. Endives also have high doses of Vitamin K.
- Escarole is a leafy green that is also used in salads and healthy foods for all meals. It has a lot of fiber and is known to tackle constipation and irregular bowel movements.
- Kale is the cabbage-like vegetable, very similar to collard greens. It is a high quality carbohydrate that has very low calories. This vegetable helps in fighting Type 2 Diabetes and has a lot of vitamins and lutein, zea xanthin and beta-carotene. For your regular dose of calcium and potassium, you should eat Kale and help prevent migraines and arthritis. This vegetable also has anti-inflammatory antioxidant named Quercetin in plenty.
- The Mustard Greens grow in the mustard plants and are a green, pungent and peppery flavored vegetable that has sufficient amount of Vitamin C and beta-carotene that helps in rejuvenating the skin and the bones. These vegetables also contain folate and Vitamin B, that enhances memory and lightens your mood.
- Radicchio is a bitter vegetable that is leafy and green, added to salads and braised like cabbage at other times. Careful intake of this vegetable will lead to healthy eyes and skin along with controlled blood pressure.
Swiss Chard tastes like spinach but has plenty of magnesium and Vitamin E. These ingredients help in preventing PMS in women and prevents bone issues in adults.
Turnip Greens have plenty of beta carotene and Vitamins C and E. These help reduce heart disease and improves your mood.
No matter what you love to eat, leafy vegetables are a must for your diet and are amazingly good nutrient rich foods that help prolong a healthy life!