Bengalis share an irreparable love affair with their machh-bhaat (fish curry and rice). This dish is a staple of every Bengali household. One of the much savoured delicacy is Boyal Machh, a species of catfish. This fish is found in abundance and is not scaly like other fishes. This fish is widely available in every fish market in Kolkata. Boyal maach er jhol is a popular dish in Bengal which is prepared by cooking this fish in a variety of spices. Want to learn the recipe and give it a try? If yes, then here is the recipe for you:
Boyal Maacher Jhol
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 big size pieces of boyal maach (cleaned)
- 1 tsp cashew nut paste
- 1 tsp yogurt
- 1tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp onion paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 1/2 cup spring onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 medium size tomato (chopped)
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 4 green chilly (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup of mustard oil
- Salt to taste
Steps to Cook
- Clean the fish in running water. Coat the fish pieces with salt and turmeric powder. Keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan. Add spring onions. Saute for a few minutes and keep them aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and fry the fishes. Cover it as soon as you put it in oil. Fry both the sides till golden brown. Once done, set them aside
- Fry onion paste, garlic and ginger paste in oil. Add the chopped tomatoes, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and tomato puree. Stir the mixture for few minutes or until the oil separates from the masala.
- Now add yogurt and cashew nut paste. Mix well. After that, add the fish pieces. Cover the fish pieces with the masala. This fish is very soft so be careful while covering them.
- Add 1/2 cup of waters to the fish and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Once the gravy thickens, add the spring onions, green chilli, coriander leaves and garam masala. Mix them well and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the fish with steaming rice.
If you want to buy Boyal Fish online, then order your fish from Delybazar. Visit our site and check our offerings.