Katla is a popular sweet water fish in West Bengal and is a common name in every Bengali kitchen. You can prepare a number of dishes with this fish. We are sharing a few unique Katla recipes for you to try at home:
Katla Fish – 5 piece (100 gram each)
Garam Masala Powder- 1 Tsp
Yoghurt- 4 Tbsp
Onion Paste- 3 Tbsp
Ginger Paste- 1 tsp
Garlic Paste- 2 tsp
Tamarind Pulp- 1 Tbsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder- 1 Tsp
Achari Masala: 2 Tsp (a mixture of roasted and grounded mustard seed, methi seeds, fennel seeds, amchoor, nigella seeds, carom seeds and asafoetida)
Salt: ½ Tsp.
Lemon Juice- 3 tbsp
Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
Onion (thick sliced)- 2
Potato (diced)- 2
Garlic cloves- 10
Mustard oil- 1 tbsp
1. Marinate the washed fish pieces with turmeric, salt and lemon juice. Refrigerate for an hour.
2. Mix ginger and garlic paste, curd, tamarind pulp, onion paste, kashmiri red chilli powder, achari masala, salt and garam masala in a bowl and apply it on the fish pieces. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
3. Pre-heat the oven for 10 minutes at 200° C.
4. Brush the baking tray with mustard oil and place the potato and onion slices. Place the marinated fish on the veggies and put the garlic cloves in between.
5. Brush it with mustard oil and bake for 10 minutes at 180° C. Flip the fish and bake again.
6. Now put the fish on grill rack. Apply ghee and grill for 10 minutes at 200° C.
Grilled fish is ready to savour. Serve hot with green salad or rice.
2. Kerala style fish Curry
Katla Fish- 1 kg
Chilli powder- 3 tsp
Coriander powder- ½ tsp
Onion (sliced) – 1
Curry leaves- 7 to 8
Slit green chillies- 6
Diced garlic cloves- 6
Diced ginger- 1 tbsp
Turmeric- 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds- ½ tsp
Coconut milk- 3 cup
Tamarind pulp- 1 tbsp
Salt- as per taste
1. Fry the fish and keep them aside.
2. Mix turmeric, chilli powder and coriander powder with a cup of coconut milk.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add fenugreek seeds, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and chillies. Fry for a minute and add shallots and onion. Cook until it turns brown. Now add the mixture of coconut milk and spices. Add salt. Cook until the oil begins to float.
4. Add the tamarind pulp followed by the fish pieces. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add another cup of coconut milk and let it simmer. Finally, add the rest of the coconut milk before taking the pan off the heat.
Your Kerala style fish curry is ready. Serve hot with rice.
Now you do not have to run to the fish market every time you feel like having machh-bhaat. You can easily buy fish online from Delybazar