If you love the zing and fire in mustard, chances of you reading this high! Bengalis love their fish and Rui is a delectable favourite across generations. This kind of fish is oily and fatty with essential minerals and vitamins. To prepare the best Mustard Rui in your kitchen you would need the following ingredients:
- 4 medium sized Rui chunks, loaded with meat
- Fillets could also be used in case the chunks are unavailable
- Two teaspoons of mustard seeds(black) ground to a thick paste. You could also add a bit of green chilies and some lemon juice.
- Poppy seed paste
- 2 large tomatoes
- Green chilies ( 4 to 5)
- Mustard oil – about 4 to 5 tablespoons
- Turmeric powder- about two teaspoonful
- Red chili powder – 2 teaspoonful
- Salt to taste
Method of preparation:
- You need to clean the fish chunks and then add the salt and the turmeric powder. You could also mix the red chili powder in the fish chunks.
- Heat some oil in the frying pan and add the fish pieces when the oil is burning hot. The fish should be fried till golden brown and done well.
- Make a paste of the tomatoes and mix it with the other pastes already made.
- Fry some onions and chilies in the oil. Add the paste and stir till thick and yellow.
- Add some salt to the gravy and add the fried fish pieces to the gravy.
- You can also add about two cups of water to the curry to make it of the right consistency.
- Once the mixture is brought to a simmer, strain the curry in an open deep dish. The fish should be tender and juicy and is best eaten with thin grain boiled rice!